The exterior of your home is an important part of the home’s value. It is the first thing that guests see when they arrive at the house. You probably put a lot of money into maintaining your home’s exterior.
However, your home’s exterior naturally faces a lot of different risks. The weather and other exterior threats clearly pose a damage threat to the home. Normal wear and tear is a natural part of your home exterior’s life. As long as you maintain the exterior, you reduce your insurance risks to the property. A well-maintained exterior has a lower risk of damages.
But, if you neglect your exterior, there’s a chance this neglect could exacerbate damages. Exterior neglect could be grounds for your home insurance carrier to deny you a damage claim.
As we move into spring, take into account ways you can do to improve your exterior’s durability. By repairing normal wear and tear, you can help prevent problems from developing.
Steps to Combat Normal Wear and Tear
- Invest in durable exterior coverings. Make sure that your siding or brickwork can withstand your local weather. If it is time for a patch job, get in touch with your contractor.
- Also know how to protect and maintain these coverings. Buy appropriate paints, sealers and other protectants designed for outdoor use. These materials should shield the exterior from deterioration and pests including mold and mildew.
- Clean these items using recommended projects. You can often power wash your house using industrial cleaning to clear away wear and tear.
- Make sure that your roof is in good shape. Check for weak spots in the roof, and request repairs if needed. You may need to add new insulation or shingles after winter weather.
- Check your foundations for cracks, shifts or other damages. Also make sure that you check your foundation seals.
- Repair any cracks or damages to your walkways, awnings or other recreational materials. Add sealants or waterproofing sprays to appropriate areas.
- Have your exterminator visit. He or she can spray around the foundation and other risky areas to prevent pest infestations.
- Check your garage door or any other apparatuses attached to the house. They could damage the home if they fail to work properly.
- Cut back shrubbery, trees and dead vegetation from the home. During severe weather, these plants could damage the home.
It is important that you do everything you can to maintain your exterior. If you let the exterior deteriorate unchecked, simple threats could damage the home. Home neglect may disqualify you from a home insurance claim.
Get in touch with us today. We can get you the correct Tampa home insurance to protect your exterior furnishings. Call us at (863) 683-9334 for more information.